Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Words

Hello beautiful Comrades,

As many of you know, I just returned home to Oakland after 5 months in New York and 3 weeks in the Middle East. I spent ten days on Birthright Israel, a free trip for young Jewish Americans to Israel. Birthright and the organizations that sponsor and administer it claim that it is a Jewish person's birthright to visit Israel at least once in her lifetime. I paid to extend my ticket and, along with my partner-in-crime (Erica Schapiro-Sakashita), spent about a week in Tel Aviv on the beach. We then travelled to Jerusalem to meet up with the second half of our trip: Birthright Unplugged. Birthright Unplugged is designed to counter Birthright, and we spent the week travelling in the West Bank, staying in Refugee camps with Palestinian families, and learning about different modes of Palestinian oppression and resistance.

The trip was fun and intense and enlightening and life-shattering (not to be dramatic or cliche or anything...), so I thought that I'd transfer some of my journal entries to a blog to share them with y'all. I've never blogged before, so bear with me here-- ma bad if they're a little out of order or don't include enough details (example: the introduction to this blog came after three entries). Feel free to ask me questions about any and everything I've written.

Much love and many thanks for caring enough to read my thoughts,

Lil

P.S. This is a very partial glimpse into the trip. I'm not copying all of my journal entries because some are too personal and some are too long. If you want to know more, please, please, please talk to me. I want to share this knowledge!! XO

No comments: