Sunday, June 15, 2008

Encountering Soldiers As Friends

May 27th, 2008
I just remembered that we saw a blimp-like thing in the sky when we were at the Bedouin tent in the Negev desert and Amitai (our security guard) told us it was a spy vehicle to spy on the Egyptians. We laughed and thought he was kidding, but then Koren (our tour guide) told us it's to protect the security border. Crazy things that are so normal and commonplace here I almost dismiss/don't bother to document. But it's really important to remember.
(8 Israeli soldiers joined us for half of the trip--5 days. There were four men and four women. They travelled with us, stayed in the hotels with us, and participated in all activities with us. Noa, one of the women, was my roommate for two nights.)
The soldiers are about to leave us in a few minutes. Some people cried and I was wondering why I didn't cry because I'm usually the emotional one in situations like this. I think it's because I'm more surprised than anything at what a good time we had. I'm glad and I'm happy and I'm pensive because this just adds another layer to the story. I have so many conflicting emotions flying around right now. I wonder if the reason I didn't get extra close to the soldiers is because I was sick at first .I think that definitely played a role. I also know that I didn't have the most open mind at first about it, but it's definitely been a mind-opening experience. Idan told me last night that based on us, he's decided that American women are free, liberated and extremely open-minded. It's good to know that he thinks that about us. He asked me what I thought about Israeli men and I didn't know what to say because all Israeli men I've met are totally different from each other.
It's so interesting hearing everyone talk about how the Israeli soldiers are fighting for us. I really don't see it that way. It becomes harder and harder to condemn them, though, because I love Limor and Idan and Tal and Or. I know it's not ever the soldier who is to blame because soldiers are pawns, but in a country where almost everyone is on the same page about the army, I just don't get that puppet/puppeteer, pawn/master vibe. The soldiers are strong in their convictions and, unlike the U.S., I don't believe it's the result of brainwashing. It's the result of a genuine, thoughtful, and real passion for the cause. I can not fully condemn that when we have this painful history as a people that created this place. I've never felt that Israel is the best solution to the problem, but despite my beliefs I can not deny the magnificance and glory of what was accomplished by the Zionists. They established a country, made a home in the desert, institutionalized and revived a language... that's a huge feat.

No comments: