Saturday, July 25, 2009

Always a Bay baby

I am currently sitting in my grandparents' house in Los Angeles. Tasha's by my side reading some Capote. My whole being is full with California sunshine.

Two weeks ago I returned home to sun and Savannah and my family and Touch the Earth camp as usual. To my dad's super strong cups of black coffee every morning, to drives to Davis for Leelye, to book shopping with Stella, to driving with windows down and music blasting. Also to an ailing Oakland, to teen deaths three blocks from my house (friends of friends), to more budget cuts than ever, to burning trees and an instable city job. The Bay air feels glorious on my skin, but also too stagnant. My mind is itching to return to New York, to resume my world roaming, but it never fails to amaze me how quickly my heart resettles. Despite my new roots on fresh coasts, I am and will always be a Bay baby. Right now, I am home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should write a book. You are a great, and observant, writer.